- Accelerate study participant recruitment (and/or)
- Maintain longitudinal engagement with study participants (and/or)
- Encourage participation from under-represented populations
- Be deployable in the wet lab or used for computational analysis
- Identify and meaningfully reduce/eliminate an artifact or bias
- Be compatible with Oragene or OMNIgene biospecimens
- Be scalable and require only commonly available infrastructure (wet or dry lab).
- One entry per investigative team. Investigators in all countries are eligible.
- All submitted materials must be in English.
- Applicants who have a relative or member of their household currently employed by DNA Genotek or OraSure Technologies are ineligible to enter.
- Applicant is responsible for ensuring that all necessary and legally required informed consents, authorizations, approvals, and permissions have been obtained in order to participate in this program, including any required Internal Review Board (IRB) approvals.
- Institutional overhead costs are restricted to a maximum of 5% of the funds awarded as part of this program.
- DNA Genotek will enter into a research grant agreement with selected awardees to enable payment of the grant funds. DNA Genotek will award 50% of the awarded funds after the grant agreement is signed by both parties. The balance will be awarded after receipt of the written progress report on the project, which is due to DNA Genotek six months after receipt of the first payment.
- Applicant agrees that the project will be complete within 1 year of the date of the award being received, if selected as a winner.
- Applicants must agree to DNA Genotek's product terms and conditions applicable to the 200 (maximum) biological sample collection kits.
- Applicants must allow DNA Genotek to publicly announce their name, project name or area of research, and institution or company if they are selected as a winner.
- DNA Genotek will keep all abstracts, applicant names and institutions, and all information submitted in the program application confidential, except in the case of the winner.
- All decisions of the selection committee are final. The selection process is confidential.
- The winner agrees to provide a written progress report on the project to DNA Genotek six months after the receipt of the award.
- The winner agrees that within 30 days of the completion date of the project, they will submit a written financial report outlining the use of award funds as well as a written report on all findings, data, results, and information as a result of the project.
- Applications will only be accepted for consideration if sent to DNA Genotek via the online application form. All other applications will be rejected and destroyed. Under no circumstances will any materials be returned.
- Applicants agree to comply with the Additional Grant Program Terms and Conditions.
- The applicant agrees that they have read, understood and agree to be bound by all of the DNA Genotek Innovation Challenges Grant Program Rules and by these Additional Terms and Conditions.
- By applying, the applicant represents and warrants that:
- They have obtained all required authorizations and permissions from their institution or company,
- They will not violate any of their institution's or company's rules, policies, or procedures by applying to this Innovation Challenges Grant Program,
- Their institution or company has agreed to be bound by all of the Innovation Challenges Grant Program Rules and by these Additional Terms and Conditions.
- DNA Genotek is not responsible for applicant's actions or decisions or those of their employees or agents.
- DNA Genotek reserves the right to discontinue or modify the Innovation Challenges Grant Program at any time and for any reason. In such event, DNA Genotek will post a notice on this website. In the event of discontinuation of the Innovation Challenges Grant Program, DNA Genotek will have no liability to any existing or possible applicant or applicant's employees or agents for such cancellation or modification.
- DNA Genotek may refuse to award the prize to any or all applicants if DNA Genotek determines at its sole discretion that the granting of such award would likely result in a violation of an applicable federal, state or local law, rule or policy.
- DNA Genotek will withhold the award until the winner has obtained all necessary IRB approvals.
- The successful applicant will own any intellectual property arising from the results that are free of any encumbrances stipulated in Section 10 of the Product Terms and Conditions, and may take such steps as it may decide from time to time, and at its own expense, to register and maintain any protection for that intellectual property, including filing and prosecuting patent applications for any of the results.
- The winner and their employees and agents hereby irrevocably authorize DNA Genotek to copy, exhibit, publish, and distribute images, audio, video and other works based upon the submission, oral discussions, and presentations, solely for DNA Genotek's marketing purposes. Applicant hereby releases and holds harmless DNA Genotek and forever discharges DNA Genotek from any and all claims, demands, and causes of action which may arise by reason of this authorization.
- Each applicant is responsible for all of their own costs, and the costs of its employees and agents, that are incurred or that may be incurred in connection with this Innovation Challenges Grant Program, including, without limitation, any tax liability and any costs associated with entering into and participating in this Innovation Challenges Grant Program, developing ideas and materials, submitting materials, traveling and generally participating in the Innovation Challenges Grant Program.
- Applicant understands and agrees that no ideas, information, or materials that are submitted to or otherwise provided to DNA Genotek in connection with this Innovation Challenges Grant Program will be returned.
- Each applicant and their employees and agents agree to accept and abide by the Innovation Challenges Grant Program Rules and agrees that any dispute with regard to the conduct of the Innovation Challenges Grant Program, rule interpretation or the award of the prizes, shall be resolved by DNA Genotek, whose decision shall be binding and final. By participating, each applicant and their employees and agents agree to release and hold harmless DNA Genotek and all of its officers, directors, employees, agents and representatives, from any injury, loss or damage, including death or property damage, due in-whole or in-part, directly or indirectly to the acceptance, use, or misuse of a grant, participation in any Innovation Challenges Grant Program -related activity, or participation in the Innovation Challenges Grant Program. DNA Genotek is not responsible for any typographical or other error herein, administration of the Innovation Challenges Grant Program or in the announcement of the award, including such error as may give an erroneous indication that an award has been won.
- The funds awarded under this Innovation Challenges Grant Program may not be used for any purposes other than those described in the application form. Any products awarded under this Innovation Challenges Grant Program may not be re-sold, or used for any other purposes other than that described in the Innovation Challenges Grant Program application. Unused products must be returned upon completion of the project.
- IN NO EVENT SHALL DNA GENOTEK, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, OR AGENTS, BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER ARISING UNDER OR AS A RESULT OF ENTRANCE IN OR PARTICIPATION IN THE GRANT PROGRAM, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT DNA GENOTEK IS ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, THE FOREGOING LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF DNA GENOTEK ARISING UNDER OR RELATING TO THIS GRANT PROGRAM SHALL NOT EXCEED THE TOTAL VALUE OF THE PRIZE AWARDED TO THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT UNDER THIS GRANT PROGRAM.
- For the purpose of this Agreement, the term "Affiliate" shall mean any corporation or other business entity controlling, controlled by or under common control with a party; and for such purpose, "control" shall mean direct or indirect ownership of: i) fifty percent (50%) or more of the voting interest in such corporation or other entity; ii) fifty percent (50%) or more of the interest in the profit or income in the case of an entity other than a corporation; or iii) in the case of a partnership, control of the general partner. The name of each party appearing herein or in any Grant Program application shall be deemed to be the name of each such Affiliate of that party to the extent necessary to carry out the intent of this Agreement, and provided further that the performance of the obligations of any such Affiliate shall be deemed guaranteed by the party to this Agreement.
- Grants / Contests
- The Molecular Club
- Promise of Excellence
- DNA Genotek Partner Program
- DNA Genotek Referral Program
In celebrating its 20th anniversary, DNA Genotek is offering a series of research grants to stimulate innovative research in both human genomics and microbiome. DNA Genotek intends to provide three (3) research grants of (up to) $30,000 USD in support of the below research challenge areas plus (up to) 200 DNA Genotek human genomics and/or microbiome collection kits for use with the project.
The DNA Genotek Innovation Challenges Grant Program will reward scientists who are using DNA Genotek’s human genomics or microbiome products to accelerate the advancement of genetics and/or microbiome to gain knowledge to address problems in one of the 4 identified research challenges below:
Challenge: multiomics/systems biology
How would you utilize a multiomic approach to human health research? Design a study that combines the microbiome, human genomics, and phenotypic data from a well-defined patient population. The study should provide unique insights, not achievable by examining one ‘ome’ in isolation. The study should also demonstrate the power of a systems biology approach to a problem while leveraging DNA Genotek human genomics and microbiome products for sample acquisition in order to promote diversity in the study group, and/or enable access to under-represented populations.
DNA Genotek’s mission is to enable high quality discovery and diagnostics at scale. We’ve created products to collect high quality biospecimens from the corners of the globe – from anyone, anytime and anywhere. But to help realize the dream of personalized medicine, we need to make it easier for investigators to conduct truly inclusive studies that accurately represent stakeholder populations. This challenge is designed to more meaningfully connect the investigator to study subjects. The study should leverage DNA Genotek human genomics and/or microbiome products for sample acquisition. In your proposal to this challenge, describe how your tool or approach will:
In addition to the award value, winner(s) of this challenge will be eligible to receive support from DNA Genotek’s Product Management, Marketing and/or R&D teams to help validate the concept and/or recruitment campaigns.
Challenge: tools and techniques
Can you develop tools, models, techniques that illuminate the truth and promote reproducible research? A key product development principle at DNA Genotek is to eliminate artifacts and bias wherever possible. The objective of this challenge is to design a tool or technology that enables more accurate and reproducible results in genomics or metagenomics. Your solution should:
Challenge: choose your own challenge
Want to create your own research grant idea? Is there a genomics or microbiome research niche in which you can make a difference? Tell us what you think is holding back progress in microbiome or genomics research and how you’ll solve it. The sky’s the limit.
Application deadline: 12:00 PM ET, (GMT -4) on July 10, 2018
Eligible researchers should complete the DNA Genotek Innovations Challenges Grant Program application and submit this to DNA Genotek by 12:00 PM ET (GMT -4) on July 10, 2018.
Awards & Amounts
3 awards of (up to) $30,000 USD and (up to) 200 DNA Genotek biological sample collection kits to facilitate collection of DNA or RNA for use in the execution of the winning proposal. Exact product and format to be determined in conjunction with the winner.
New Date: September 12, 2018 on www.dnagenotek.com
Additional Grant Program Terms & Conditions
If you have any questions about the DNA Genotek Innovations Challenges Grant Program, please email email@example.com.
Emails sent to this address will be answered from Monday to Friday, during business hours (8:30 AM – 5:00 PM ET).