- Liquid tight transport bio-specimen bag including absorbent material. Designed for use with Oragene and OMNIgene ORAL (saliva) collection kits to ensure samples are returned correctly, without the funnel attached to the tube.
- Capped collection kit vial (with or without secondary rigid plastic container).
- A liquid-tight bag with biohazard logo to hold the capped collection kit vial.
- Absorbent material in the liquid-tight bag sufficient to soak up at least 4 mL of liquid.
- An outer mailing envelope labeled with the words "Exempt Human Specimen" or "Exempt Animal Specimen"
MO-5 | Liquid Tight Bio-specimen Bags
For use with tube formats only
Some researchers who are conducting population studies need to collect DNA samples from remote donors. The mailing logistics for large-scale population studies can be complicated and costly. To facilitate this process, DNA Genotek has conducted research to create a mailing solution that complies with International Air Transport Association (IATA) guidelines, while also protecting the collection kit on the way to and from the donor. The solution adheres to IATA regulations specifically for patient specimens for which there is a minimal likelihood that pathogens are present.
Since courier services designated as "ground" may involve an air transport segment, the IATA publications are broadly applicable to both air and ground shipments. To ensure full adherence, we recommend that customers check for any variation based on their local postal service.
The following document has been developed as a guideline.
PD-WP-009: Shipping recommendations for exempt specimen samples (pdf)
For saliva samples not expected to be pathogenic, the following packaging is recommended for shipping the collection kit vial:
Full terms and conditions for all DNA Genotek products are available here.
DNA Genotek's sample collection devices and nucleic acid stabilization chemistries are protected by issued and pending patents in numerous countries around the world.
Inside DNA Genotek